Mass Quanitification of Phosphorylated Proteins in Human Cells

If it doesn't fit into any other category post it here.
Will
Proton Member
Proton Member

Mass Quanitification of Phosphorylated Proteins in Human Cells

Postby Will » Thu May 16, 2013 8:03 am

I am planning a phospho-proteomics experiment and I need to know the weight of phosphorylated proteins per dry mass of human cell.

tsbatth
Ubiquitin Member
Ubiquitin Member

Postby tsbatth » Thu May 16, 2013 8:26 am

Is that a question or a statement :p ? Perhaps protein/peptide quantification followed by TiO2 enrichment and perform quantification on that as well ? Getting dry weight might be difficult (% is really small I believe) but perhaps somebody has some experience in this.

Will
Proton Member
Proton Member

Postby Will » Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 am

After a tryptic digestion of 200ug of human or yeast cell lysate, we typically recover ~100ug of tryptic peptides. After IMAC enrichment of 100ug of peptides, what is a ballpark figure for mass (ug) of phosphorylated peptides recovered? for yeast? for human?

ranio
Angiotensin Member
Angiotensin Member

Postby ranio » Thu May 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Will wrote:After a tryptic digestion of 200ug of human or yeast cell lysate, we typically recover ~100ug of tryptic peptides. After IMAC enrichment of 100ug of peptides, what is a ballpark figure for mass (ug) of phosphorylated peptides recovered? for yeast? for human?

1 µg or less(0.1 µg)? I haven't measured this, due to the low abundance of phospho-proteins in vivo, it's really hard to evaluate the quantity of phospho-peptides. Looking forward others to sharing the experience.

tsbatth
Ubiquitin Member
Ubiquitin Member

Postby tsbatth » Fri May 17, 2013 2:07 am

ranio wrote:1 µg or less(0.1 µg)? I haven't measured this, due to the low abundance of phospho-proteins in vivo, it's really hard to evaluate the quantity of phospho-peptides. Looking forward others to sharing the experience.

From what I remember, and I'm probably wrong, in human cell lines, the % phosphorylation is under 1%, but when you stimulate with something I think it goes from 1-6%. With Yeast I'm guessing the highest % would be in the growth phase but I'm not sure . I know for human cell lines normally 10-30 MG of protein is digested, fractionated, and enriched for phospho (enrichment % is normally 70-90 % if done thoroughly) before seeing good results.

ranio
Angiotensin Member
Angiotensin Member

Postby ranio » Wed May 22, 2013 12:25 am

Yep, in my experience, the abundance of phosphorylation is evaluated nearly 0.1% in not-stimulated mouse liver samples, 10-15mg of proteins is digested and fractionated with SCX, after enrichment with TiO2, 5,000 phospho-peptides could be detected approximately.
tsbatth wrote:From what I remember, and I'm probably wrong, in human cell lines, the % phosphorylation is under 1%, but when you stimulate with something I think it goes from 1-6%. With Yeast I'm guessing the highest % would be in the growth phase but I'm not sure . I know for human cell lines normally 10-30 MG of protein is digested, fractionated, and enriched for phospho (enrichment % is normally 70-90 % if done thoroughly) before seeing good results.

Return to “Other”