Proteotypic peptides

If it doesn't fit into any other category post it here.

How do you most frequently hear the term "proteotypic peptide" used?

peptides which are likely to be observed by mass spectrometry
50%
peptides which uniquely identify a protein among a larger set
50%
both simultaneously
No votes

Total votes: 8

Craig
E. Coli Lysate Member
E. Coli Lysate Member

Proteotypic peptides

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:45 am

Some people use the term "proteotypic peptide" to refer to those peptides which are likely to be observed by mass spectrometry. Example:
Although such analyses typically assume that a protein's peptide fragments are observed with equal likelihood, only a few so-called 'proteotypic' peptides are repeatedly and consistently identified for any given protein present in a mixture.

Others use it to refer to peptides which uniquely identify a protein among a larger set (usually an organism). Example:
We propose that the datum for proteome scoring should be a proteotypic peptide — that is, an experimentally observable peptide that uniquely identifies a specific protein or protein isoform.

Still others use it to mean both simultaneously. Example:
An essential step of any targeted analysis is determining which peptides are most representative and most likely to be observed for a protein of interest. These peptides are commonly referred to as proteotypic peptides and can be used as a suitable proxy for the protein.

What do you think? Vote how you most frequently hear the term "proteotypic peptide" used and comment any details or how you think the situation should be resolved.

Doug
E. Coli Lysate Member
E. Coli Lysate Member

Postby Doug » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:24 pm

I always thought it was option number 2 but i have heard it used in various ways. Its one of those words that gets thrown around a lot. I think the term 'epigenetic' is another such term that has different meanings to different people.

And I think the situation should be resolved right here by the results of the poll and said results should be legally binding.
"If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be research." -AE

Return to “Other”