Data-dependent ETD MS2

If it doesn't fit into any other category post it here.
arledvina
Phosphoserine Member
Phosphoserine Member

Data-dependent ETD MS2

Postby arledvina » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 am

Has anyone had any experience setting up a data-dependent method which triggers ETD MS2 scans based upon the presence of diagnostic peaks in a previous MS2 scan using Thermo instrument software? I think this is called a 'data-dependent MS3' experiment type. I would like to try to set this up but I'm doing something quite wrong, as attempts to validate that the method is working using infusion is showing no success.

Doug
E. Coli Lysate Member
E. Coli Lysate Member

Postby Doug » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:30 am

Have done this with successfully with CAD? For instance, MS1-CADMS2-CADMS3. And MS1-ETDMS2-CADMS3. Those should be pretty straightforward right? And if those work and MS1-ETDMS2-ETDMS3 doesn't work I would be concerned that it is not possible without modifying the instrument code.

arledvina
Phosphoserine Member
Phosphoserine Member

Postby arledvina » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:42 am

Hm... not quite what I mean. I would like to perform CAD; if and only if a specific product ion (or ions) is observed, I would also like to perform ETD MS2 on the same precursor.

Doug
E. Coli Lysate Member
E. Coli Lysate Member

Postby Doug » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:46 am

I see. In any case, can you get these experiments to work? MS1-CADMS2-CADMS3. And MS1-ETDMS2-CADMS3.

arledvina
Phosphoserine Member
Phosphoserine Member

Postby arledvina » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:01 pm

If you mean basing an MS3 off of the results of a previously performed MS2, I can get those to work.

Craig
E. Coli Lysate Member
E. Coli Lysate Member

Postby Craig » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:33 pm

If I understand you correctly, I think there is an option called "same MS order as referenced scan" or something to that effect in the data-dependent settings which is what you are looking for. Otherwise you just set it up like a standard MS3 experiment.

arledvina
Phosphoserine Member
Phosphoserine Member

Postby arledvina » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Craig and Doug,

Thanks for the replies... At this point I think the path of least resistance is to just modify the itcl myself. This should be reasonably straightforward. If I ever figure out how to do this through excalibur, I'll post it.

JasonH
Proton Member
Proton Member

Postby JasonH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:59 am

I don't have ETD on my LTQ-Orbitrap XL, but the setup is as Craig described. You will need to use the "same order as referenced MS scan event". Otherwise it will do data-dependent MS3 on the target ion. I believe you will need to put your product ions m/z values in the "Product Mass List" window. I have used the Neutral Loss List in the past.

There is also a setup difference in Xcalibur depending on whether you do targeted MS3 or data-dependent MS3. In one case you do MS2, MS3, MS2, MS3 while the other you do MS2, MS2, then MS3, MS3. I can't remember which one goes for which experiment type, but if you do the wrong setup the dynamic exclusion list will prevent MS3 triggers in the data-dependent MS3 case. I think in your case it will go MS2, MS3 (with referenced scan event), MS2, MS3 (with referenced scan event).

Return to “Other”