What is the rationale of doing proteomics work

1D, 2D, HPLC, SDS PAGE, etc. Talk about it here.
ssgrrens
Phosphoserine Member
Phosphoserine Member

What is the rationale of doing proteomics work

Postby ssgrrens » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Hello all,
As a newbie, I am interested to know the rationale of doing proteomics work. As many of us know that "proteome analysis is required to determine which proteins have been conditionally expressed, how strongly, and whether any posttranslational modifications are affected". (between health and diseased tissue i.e., human or plant tissue)

What is the next step, If I know a protein that is expressed in response to biotic and abiotic factors? Is it only useful for writing a papers? or How can this results be useful?

Thank you

Gajanan
Carbon Member
Carbon Member

Postby Gajanan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 am

Omics expt is hightroughput. It will help to narrow down window. Instead of selecting molecule responsible for mechanism blindly. One can select molecule on the basis of proteomics expt. then further studies functional role by functional assays.

botte
Phosphoserine Member
Phosphoserine Member

Postby botte » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:32 pm

The answer very much depends on the field you are working in (Biochemistry? Clinical Research? Plant Research?) - depending on the field you are looking into proteomics has progressed in different directions and reached different stages of maturity.

The first word usually comes to mind is "biomarkers" though - to identify and pre-validate protein candidates that reflect a change in your biological system.

botte
Phosphoserine Member
Phosphoserine Member

Postby botte » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:33 pm

....sorry forgot to add: I would suggest to look toward recent review publications, but really select these based on field you are interested in.

Return to “Electrophoresis”