Can you heat a fritted column?

1D, 2D, HPLC, SDS PAGE, etc. Talk about it here.
ChrisLietz
Carbon Member
Carbon Member

Can you heat a fritted column?

Postby ChrisLietz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:53 am

Does anyone have any experience with heating a column with a chemical frit? I'm making my frit with potassium silicate, tetramethylammonium silicate, and formamide, followed by heating to harden it. As I'm writing this, I think that since I use heat to solidify the frit, it might be okay to heat it to 50-65 C. Anyone have experience with heating a fritted column?

ChrisLietz
Carbon Member
Carbon Member

Postby ChrisLietz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:23 pm

The answer is I tried it and I think it's fine.

JDRCHEM
Phosphoserine Member
Phosphoserine Member

Postby JDRCHEM » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:29 am

Short term I think the frit will be fine given the average life of a homemade column, but the rate of hydrolysis of the frit material will be accelerated at high temperatures. Are you using a column heater and is your stationary phase stable in the temperature ranges you want to use? A large proportion of the silica-based stationary phases I use recommend temperatures below 50C. Keep an eye on your background, if it starts to go up after a couple of days it may be due to stationary phase and/or frit breakdown.

ChrisLietz
Carbon Member
Carbon Member

Postby ChrisLietz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:07 am

Thanks for the reply.

The stationary phase is recommended for 50 C. The column heater I have only goes to 65, and I did a couple days worth of runs at 60 C and I didn't see any extra noise. I kept my pressure at 4000 psi or lower though cause I'm worried the frit won't last much longer past that.

Return to “Electrophoresis”