Protein identification from bands with same molecular weight but different intensity

1D, 2D, HPLC, SDS PAGE, etc. Talk about it here.
Fazilah
Proton Member
Proton Member

Protein identification from bands with same molecular weight but different intensity

Postby Fazilah » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi All,
This is probably a very basic question, but I want to confirm if protein bands (from 1D gel) with similar molecular weight but
different intensity will end up to be the same set of proteins after LC/MS analysis? or is it possible to be different?

Thank you!

Infinity
E. Coli Lysate Member
E. Coli Lysate Member

Postby Infinity » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:21 am

It is not clear. What do you mean by saying "the same set of proteins"???

Fazilah
Proton Member
Proton Member

Postby Fazilah » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi Infinity,
Sorry if i don't explained clearly.
I plan to cut bands from a gel and identify the protein using LCMS.
If i have one band (let say sample 1) with a specific molecular weight, but low intensity, and another band (sample 2) with similar intensity but more intense, will I end up with the same proteins from these two samples? or should expect more proteins from more intense band?

Thank you!

Biomarker
Albumin Member

Postby Biomarker » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:29 am

In principal yes more protein IDs with intense band. But they may be same set or different proteins..

Infinity
E. Coli Lysate Member
E. Coli Lysate Member

Postby Infinity » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:42 am

Nope, It doesn't mean anything. For example you might have very intense band but 99% of this intensity will be attributed to some high-abundant protein (albumin, keratin, etc.) - so you end up having many peptides for one protein. In an opposite way you might see almost nothing on a gel because many low-abundant proteins with similar mass and you end up having much more protein IDs.

Return to “Electrophoresis”