Elsevier Boycott

If it doesn't fit into any other category post it here.
Doug
E. Coli Lysate Member
E. Coli Lysate Member

Elsevier Boycott

Postby Doug » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Started on Jan 21st 2012 by Timothy Gowers, thousands of researchers have signed a petition as part of a boycott of Elsevier. Elsevier publishes thousands of journals including Cell. I am not sure if this is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back but it definitely seems like we are heading towards some changes in the way research is reviewed, published, and accessed.

More information about the boycott can be found here (thecostofknowledge.com).

I am interested if this boycott has had any impact on the proteomics community. How do you feel about it? Are researchers at your University or place of research taking part in the boycott?

gadsouza
Angiotensin Member
Angiotensin Member

Postby gadsouza » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:57 am

I dont think this boycott will bring any revolutionary changes.

I surely agree that research data should be made free-for-all for the readers, or should have minimal non-profitable costs. The most extreme that can happen will be that many (if not most) of the journals will follow the PLoS model (i.e., authors pay higher fees to have their data freely available to the readers).

Kambiz
Angiotensin Member
Angiotensin Member

Postby Kambiz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Well, for your information just 2 months ago Iran government told official to the Iranian Scientist that the Elsevier is boycott. It means what ever paper you publish in Elsevier journals you will not get any point for your Grant or your research ....

Than people say there is no politic in Science???? We cannot buy MS for proteomics research official from Thermo, Applied Biosystem etc. because of sanctions. However, we can buy it on the black market....

Is protein so dangers?
Kambiz Gilany, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Avicenna Research Institute (ARI)

Evin, Tehran, Iran
P.O. Box: 19615-1177

Tel: +98-21-22432020 Ext. 427
Fax: +98 21 22432021

Return to “Other”