What is your opinion of Cell Reports

Publish a paper recently? Share it here. Or discuss other proteomics-related publications.
Doug
E. Coli Lysate Member
E. Coli Lysate Member

What is your opinion of Cell Reports

Postby Doug » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:48 pm

We were considering submitting a paper to Cell Reports recently however each of the coauthors had quite different ideas about the quality of this journal. If you aren't aware Cell Reports is a relatively new journal in the Cell Press suite of journals. I believe it is the first open access journal published by Elsevier. There is a nice article featuring Cell Reports Editor, Boyana Konforti, published here. And in the responses at the bottom several people discuss the potential future impact factor of the journal.

I actually like the journal and have read several papers in it that I consider to be high quality including the following paper describing the proteome changes associated with reprogramming somatic cells to iPS cells.

Hansson J, Rafiee MR, Reiland S, Polo JM, Gehring J, Okawa S, Huber W,
Hochedlinger K, Krijgsveld J. Highly coordinated proteome dynamics during
reprogramming of somatic cells to pluripotency. Cell Rep. 2012 Dec
27;2(6):1579-92. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2012.10.014. PubMed PMID: 23260666.

Anyway, I am curious how other people view Cell Reports. Is it an up and coming Cell sub journal or just a place to publish rejected papers from other Cell Press journals? What do you think its eventual impact factor will be?

If I had to guess I would say it would land around those of Molecular Cellular Proteomics, PNAS, and Genome Biology or about 7-11. But I really have no idea which is why I am asking all of you.

What do you guys think?
"If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be research." -AE

justin
Phosphoserine Member
Phosphoserine Member

Cell Reports

Postby justin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:19 am

This is an interesting question and a fairly common discussion with the advent of open-access journals. Nature Communications is a similar format and I believe that both require a publication fee, which is maybe the only thing that gives me pause. While I appreciate the importance of open-access material, I am a little concerned that the motivation for publication could be more tied to the fee than scientific advancement.

All of that said, I think that all of these journals will prove important in time. I suspect that your assessment of mid- to low-tier is accurate, although time will tell. I really don't believe that they will wind up relegated to a dump site for manuscripts that don't make it into the bigger journals. There are many cases where a group has a smaller, more concise story that may not merit a more impactful journal but still should be disseminated to the community. This is the perfect role for these kinds of journals.

We recently got a paper out in Stem Cell Reports (something of a specialized version of Cell Reports) and I was quite surprised with the response that I received from colleagues. People are checking these journals, although it really seems as though Stem Cell Reports has gained a favorable reputation in the field, possibly due to some really good publicity from ISSCR. I think a lot will depend on the perception of the journal in a given field and in some cases, how it is presented to the public eye (public eye being scientists).

Return to “Literature”