5600+TripleTOF vs Orbitrap ELITE

Whether you are building your own mass spec, modifying an existing one, or just need help with instrument settings post about it in here.
cavaliersun2003
Ubiquitin Member
Ubiquitin Member

5600+TripleTOF vs Orbitrap ELITE

Postby cavaliersun2003 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:14 am

Hi, all
We are just setting up a new lab and looking for an high-end MS instrument for our proteomics plateform. Previously we are more familiar with LTQ-Orbi series, although we never tried ELITE before, we can comprehense how powerful it is.
Another option we are taking seriously is the 5600+tripleTOF with SWATH function. This instrument is very new to us. We are amazed by the speed of this instument. However, I'm wondering, if there is someone here have tried 5600+, whether such high speed of data collection (100hz) compromise the spectrum quality and sensitivity.
Regarding the SWATH function, will it be a serious challenging alternative to the current DDA-based quantitation methods (including label free and mutiplex tags)?
I'm looking forward for discussion and interesting inputs from you! Thank you!
BTW, previously I put this message on a wrong section, sorry for double posts!

CS2003

isobaric
Angiotensin Member
Angiotensin Member

Postby isobaric » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm

I never use the 5600 but I use Orbi Elite a lot. In my experience, the Orbi Elite is a really powerful instrument. With increased scan speed of the Orbitrap Elite(4X faster than the Orbi Velos), you can do HCD really fast and generate beautiful MS/MS spectra.

cavaliersun2003
Ubiquitin Member
Ubiquitin Member

Postby cavaliersun2003 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:42 pm

isobaric wrote:I never use the 5600 but I use Orbi Elite a lot. In my experience, the Orbi Elite is a really powerful instrument. With increased scan speed of the Orbitrap Elite(4X faster than the Orbi Velos), you can do HCD really fast and generate beautiful MS/MS spectra.

thank you, isobaric! Does the spectra quality (resolution, S/N etc) of ELITE decrease while you are using the such high scan speed (4X faster than the Orbi Velos)?

isobaric
Angiotensin Member
Angiotensin Member

Postby isobaric » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:45 pm

no, the spectra quality is excellent but you will need to test a bunch of operational parameters to get high-quality spectra. the maintenance of the Elite is painful. you need to clean the instrument very often. but once the instrument is clean, the performance is really great.

cavaliersun2003
Ubiquitin Member
Ubiquitin Member

Postby cavaliersun2003 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:52 pm

isobaric wrote:no, the spectra quality is excellent but you will need to test a bunch of operational parameters to get high-quality spectra. the maintenance of the Elite is painful. you need to clean the instrument very often. but once the instrument is clean, the performance is really great.

Great! I actually like to hear more about the real performance and daily maintenance of the instrument. Can you elaborate on how often the maintenance is needed, and what specific parts need special attention? Does your ELITE have ETD on it?
Thank you!

Return to “Instrumentation”