separate column and tip lead to unstable spray?

Whether you are building your own mass spec, modifying an existing one, or just need help with instrument settings post about it in here.
sym@madison
Proton Member
Proton Member

separate column and tip lead to unstable spray?

Postby sym@madison » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi All,

I used integrated tip column before and just switched to separate ones due to special column. Has anyone met this unstable spray issue? I noticed very small bubbles coming out from the column and then get into the tip. I used long column and the pressure is high (600 bar) and this issue is understandable to me. Is there anyone know how to solve it? I tried to use a metal needle and it is better. But the chromatogram peak shape is still not as good as the integrated ones. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Infinity
E. Coli Lysate Member
E. Coli Lysate Member

Postby Infinity » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:44 am

Can it be associated with pressure drop inside the emitter? If there is ~ 600 bar inside the column and then it drops to 1-2 bars in the emitter it could explain bubble formation. Do you have degasser in your LC system?

karthikskamath
Ubiquitin Member
Ubiquitin Member

Postby karthikskamath » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:17 pm

As infinity told check for degasser. I hope you manually degas them before using as well. Check for the connections and peep into pressure profiles of your pumps.

Karthik

Return to “Instrumentation”