High performance computers for Proteomics Data Processing

Search algorithms, post-searching processing, quantitation software, etc. Share and discuss software here.
woa
Ubiquitin Member
Ubiquitin Member

High performance computers for Proteomics Data Processing

Postby woa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:27 pm

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone of you using any of these Computers?

http://omicscomputing.myshopify.com/collections/all

Thanks

gabe
Angiotensin Member
Angiotensin Member

Postby gabe » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:33 am

Haven't tried those, but I'm interested in what other people here use for HPC? When I was in academia I had access to large clusters and never had to think about this. Now, in small biotech, I use a desktop server I bought from Dell configured with 16 cores (hyperthreaded to 32 "cores") which can keep up with one Orbitrap 24/7.

However, we're expanding, and I'm interested in looking at HPC solutions like buying a small cluster to keep on-site. Cloud computing is also an option, but would require fairly significant re-writes of our data-processing work-flow and I don't have time to do it myself.

So... can anyone here recommend an HPC vendor that they've had success with?

Thanks

woa
Ubiquitin Member
Ubiquitin Member

Postby woa » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:56 am

Came across this related paper:

The amino acid's backup bone - storage solutions for proteomics facilities.
Meckel H1, Stephan C, Bunse C, Krafzik M, Reher C, Kohl M, Meyer HE, Eisenacher M.
Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014 Jan;1844(1 Pt A):2-11. doi: 10.1016/j.bbapap.2013.05.018. Epub 2013 May 27.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23722089

orsburn
Proton Member
Proton Member

Postby orsburn » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Woa,
I've got one of the base models from this company and I love it. I've never seen anything as fast. I know 3 or 4 other labs with them now and I haven't heard anything except good stuff.

OmicsPCs
Proton Member
Proton Member

More info on high performance computers for Proteomics Data Processing

Postby OmicsPCs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:08 am

Woa,

If you e-mail us we would be happy to provide you with references or better yet, you could set up a demo and process your data remotely.

Gabe,

If you are still seeking HPC solutions you should check us out. Tell us a little more about the software you are running and your data processing needs and we can help you find the best solution available in your budget.

Orsburn,

Thank you for being an advocate for our products! Believe me when I say our higher-end products would blow away that base model you have. We have recently set up a challenge on our website that encourages everyone to compare data processing times on their current setups vs one of our mid-tier computers. We are giving away $20 gift cards if your current rig is faster, but the real goal is to collect some data to prove that dollar for dollar our computers are the fastest around for processing proteomics data.

More info at http://www.omicspcs.com

Return to “Bioinformatics”